Wednesday, November 15, 2023

2023 Poetry Curation Project

 These are the five poems that stood out to me the most from what I've learned. Here is my list in video form. 


"Do not go gentle" - by Dylan Thomas, read by Michael Sheen



"Homage to the Empress of Blues" - by Robert Hayden 


"Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore" - by William Shakespeare


"The Victims" - written by Sharon Olds 


"Barbie Doll" - written by Marge Piercy 



How I chose these five poems is that I see these poems as narrations for phases of my life. "Do not go gentle" reminds me of the fact that I was depressed for a bit in my late teens, and it took a lot to fight my way out of it. The way that Dylan Thomas wrote the poem in such a resigned but angry way talks about not giving up just yet, that really spoke to me. Homage to the Empress of Blues reminds me of the way that music was helpful in a lot of ways to me as I got through different difficulties of my life. Barbie Doll speaks to me in a way that helps me understand that my struggle with my body image is seen, and although the poem is short and to the point and ends in tragedy, it shows me that I can write a different ending to my version. The poem "The Victims" makes me think about when my parents divorced, and how much better our lives got after my mom and dad's marriage ended. As sad as it was, there are less consequences for my siblings and I then there are for my dad. 

What I understand from what I've learned about poetry is that fiction can be bent, twisted and shaped into whatever a person wants essentially. Through the many types of poetry, a story can be told, or a random sentence, a cry for help, a grief-filled plea, etc. But they all have structure in some way. Although building a foundation requires a blueprint, all buildings are different in their design, which is how I think poetry works as well. 











No comments:

Post a Comment